How many countries can you name? We thought we could all, but there we were shamefully wrong. Now you can challenge yourself. How many countries are there in the world? It depends on which source you use as a starting point or in which year the question is asked. For national borders, armed conflicts and large federal replies like the former Yugoslavia are often split in several countries after conflicts such as the one in the Balkans in the 1990s. Here, the country “landed” Yugoslavia suddenly became seven independent states in the period 2001 – 2006, namely Bosnia and Herzegovina, Croatia, Macedonia, Montenegro, Serbia, Slovenia and Kosovo (disputed). Also countries like the Democratic Republic of Congo have constantly changed their names in relation to who the rulers have been. The country has gone under official names like Free State Congo, Belgian Congo, Zaire and now the last Democratic Republic of Congo, one of countries located in Central Africa.
But how many countries are there?
The most reliable way to count the number of countries is to take the member countries of the UN. The organizations now count 193 countries. But given that there are self-proclaimed independent states such as the Vatican and Kosovo, this figure is not entirely to be trusted.
The website Sporcle – mentally stimulating diversions has created a small brain quiz in which you yourself will ramp up every country in the world. Sporcle even takes care to place these countries correctly on the world map. Here you will find 197 countries and your score depends on what percentage you get right. The names of the countries you have to write in English (which makes Belarus to be called Belarus etc.), but if you have to search on Google what the English name for the Ivory Coast is, then you are the one who remembered the country initially.
List of countries in Europe: 47
One of the major countries in Europe is France. Located in Western Europe, France is the largest country in the European Union, with a population of over 66 million people. It is a diverse and multicultural nation, with influences from Celtic and Germanic cultures to its Mediterranean and North African roots. France is home to some of the world’s most iconic landmarks, such as the Eiffel Tower and Notre Dame Cathedral. Its capital city, Paris, is one of the most visited cities in the world. As well as being a cultural hub for art and fashion, France has a vibrant economy with significant contributions from tourism and agriculture. It is also known for its wines, cheeses, and cuisine.
Another major country in Europe is Germany. With around 82 million people living within its borders, Germany is one of the most populous countries on the continent. It has a long history that dates back to ancient times when it was made up of many smaller kingdoms. Today it consists of 16 federal states which are united under one government based in Berlin. Germany has one of the strongest economies in Europe with an export-oriented manufacturing sector that produces products ranging from cars to chemicals. It also boasts some stunning natural landscapes such as Bavaria’s Alpine Mountains and Black Forest region which attract millions of tourists each year.
List of countries in North and Central America: 23
- Antigua and Barbuda
- Costa Rica
- Dominican Republic
- El Salvador
- Saint Kitts and Nevis
- Saint Lucia
- Saint Vincent and the Grenadines
- Trinidad and Tobago
- United States
List of countries in South America: 12
List of countries in Africa: 55
Egypt is one of the most populous countries in Africa and is home to the famous pyramids. It is located in the northeast corner of the continent, bordered by Libya to the west, Sudan to the south, and Israel and Palestine to the east. Egypt also has a long history of cultural heritage, with its Ancient Egyptian culture being one of the oldest in the world. The country’s economy relies heavily on agriculture, tourism, and foreign investment. Egypt is also home to some of Africa’s most iconic wildlife, including lions, elephants, rhinos, hippos, crocodiles and more. Other points of interest include the Great Sphinx at Giza and other monuments from Ancient Egypt that can be found throughout Cairo and Luxor.
Nigeria is located in West Africa on the Gulf of Guinea. It is one of Africa’s most populous countries with over 200 million people living within its borders. Nigeria has a rich culture with many different ethnic groups including Hausa-Fulani, Yoruba and Igbo peoples. Nigeria’s economy relies heavily on oil exports as well as agriculture such as cocoa production. In addition to its natural resources Nigeria also boasts some incredible wildlife species such as chimpanzees, gorillas and elephants that can be found in various national parks throughout the country. Additionally Nigeria has many historical sites such as Benin City which was once an important trading center for West African empires during medieval times.
List of countries in Asia: 47
China is the most populous country in Asia, and the second largest country in the world by land area. As a result of its long history, Chinese culture has had an immense influence on other countries throughout Asia. China has a strong economy with a large population and a diverse range of industries, from manufacturing to technology. It is also home to several UNESCO World Heritage Sites. India is the second-largest country in Asia by population and the seventh-largest country in the world by land area. India is known for its many religions, languages, cultures, and cuisines. It has a large economy with an increasing middle class and a wide range of industries such as IT services, telecommunications, banking and finance, pharmaceuticals, automotive production and more. Japan is one of the most technologically advanced countries in Asia with one of the world’s largest economies. Japan is known for its high quality products such as cars, electronic devices and home appliances. It also has a strong culture that includes traditional arts such as calligraphy and tea ceremonies as well as modern pop culture like anime and manga. South Korea is another technologically advanced Asian nation with one of the fastest-growing economies in recent years. South Korea’s economy relies heavily on exports to other countries around the world due to its small domestic market size. The country’s culture combines both traditional Korean elements such as kimchi (a spicy fermented cabbage dish) with contemporary elements like K-pop music and television dramas. Indonesia is another major Asian nation located between India and Australia in Southeast Asia. Indonesia has more than 17 thousand islands making it one of the largest archipelagos in the world with numerous cultural influences from Hinduism to Islam to Buddhism to Christianity among others due to its proximity to other countries like India or Malaysia which have their own distinct cultures too.
List of countries in Oceania: 14
- Marshall Islands
- New Zealand
- Papua New Guinea
- Solomon Islands
Travel to United States by State
The United States of America is comprised of 50 states, each with its own unique history, culture, and geography. The original 13 colonies that declared independence from Britain in 1776 eventually became the first 13 states to join the union. Since then, an additional 37 states have joined the union, bringing the total number of states to 50. Each state has its own flag and motto, creating a diverse representation of American patriotism. The first state to join was Delaware on December 7th, 1787, while Hawaii was the last to join on August 21st 1959.
The diversity of each state is reflected in its economy and population. Some states are primarily agricultural while others are industrial centers or tourism hotspots. Similarly, certain states have larger populations than others; California is currently home to the largest population at nearly 40 million people while Wyoming is home to only about 580 thousand people. This large population disparity between states affects how many representatives each state gets in Congress and how much funding they receive from the federal government for various projects such as infrastructure and education programs.
The geography of each state also varies greatly across the country – from mountain ranges like the Rocky Mountains in Colorado to forests like those in Maine or deserts like those found in Arizona. These variations create a unique landscape for each state which can be enjoyed by visitors from other parts of the country or around the world through national parks like Yellowstone National Park or Yosemite National Park. Additionally, some states are located entirely within one time zone while others span multiple time zones due to their size and shape – Alaska spans four time zones!
View Articles by Continent
- Amazon SEO Basics February 2, 2024 - In our first article on the topic of Amazon SEO, we first deal with the absolute basics that are necessary for the successful sale of products on Amazon and at… Read more
- Kish Island, Iran February 10, 2023 - Kish Island is located in the northeast of the Persian Gulf and enjoys considerable popularity among residents of the country and tourists - today it has the status of the… Read more
- Kopavogur, Iceland February 3, 2023 - Kopavogur or Kopavogur (Kópavogur, translated from Icelandic as "seal bay") is the second most populous city in Iceland, located in the southwest of the country. Along with Reykjavik, it is… Read more
- How to Get to Nha Trang, Vietnam December 30, 2022 - Cam Ranh Airport is located 30 km south of the center of Nha Trang. From Russia, only charters fly here directly. Travelers who independently get to the resort most often… Read more
- Visa to Albania December 23, 2022 - All countries should have such zeal as Albania shows, luring tourists to their hospitable lands! Firstly, holders of a valid Schengen, visas to the UK, Ireland and the USA can… Read more
- Pennsylvania Turnpike December 16, 2022 - I-70 / I-76 / I-276 Get started columbia End youngstown Length 360 mi Length 580 km Route Ohio Ohio Turnpike10 → Pittsburgh Airport / New Castle 13 Beaver Falls… Read more
- Poti, Georgia December 9, 2022 - The city of Poti is often called the sea gate of Georgia. This title is confirmed by numerous merchant ships moored in orderly rows at the pier of its port.… Read more
- Rhodes Island: Ocean State December 1, 2022 - With cities such as Newport, Pawtucket and Providence, the state has a wealth of opportunities and attractions. During your Rhode Island vacation, enjoy water sports and the colonial atmosphere in… Read more
- How to Get to Frankfurt, Germany November 25, 2022 - Russian travelers can reach Frankfurt in several ways. The fastest and most convenient way is by plane. Frankfurt am Main International Airport receives flights from Moscow and St. Petersburg, in… Read more
- Algiers, Algeria November 18, 2022 - "La Blanche" (white) and "bahja" (cheerful) - under these two names, the capital of Algeria - the city of Algiers (Alger) is known to the world of the western and… Read more