How many countries can you name? We thought we could all, but there we were shamefully wrong. Now you can challenge yourself.
How many countries are there in the world? It depends on which source you use as a starting point or in which year the question is asked. For national borders, armed conflicts and large federal replies like the former Yugoslavia are often split in several countries after conflicts such as the one in the Balkans in the 1990s. Here, the country “landed” Yugoslavia suddenly became seven independent states in the period 2001 – 2006, namely Bosnia and Herzegovina, Croatia, Macedonia, Montenegro, Serbia, Slovenia and Kosovo (disputed). Also countries like the Democratic Republic of Congo have constantly changed their names in relation to who the rulers have been. The country has gone under official names like Free State Congo, Belgian Congo, Zaire and now the last Democratic Republic of Congo, one of countries located in Central Africa according to Trackaah.
But how many countries are there?
The most reliable way to count the number of countries is to take the member countries of the UN. The organizations now count 193 countries. But given that there are self-proclaimed independent states such as the Vatican and Kosovo, this figure is not entirely to be trusted.
The website Sporcle – mentally stimulating diversions has created a small brain quiz in which you yourself will ramp up every country in the world. Sporcle even takes care to place these countries correctly on the world map. Here you will find 197 countries and your score depends on what percentage you get right. The names of the countries you have to write in English (which makes Belarus to be called Belarus etc.), but if you have to search on Google what the English name for the Ivory Coast is, then you are the one who remembered the country initially.
List of countries in Europe: 47
List of countries in North and Central America: 23
- Antigua and Barbuda
- Costa Rica
- Dominican Republic
- El Salvador
- Saint Kitts and Nevis
- Saint Lucia
- Saint Vincent and the Grenadines
- Trinidad and Tobago
- United States
List of countries in South America: 12
List of countries in Africa: 55
List of countries in Asia: 47
List of countries in Oceania: 14
- Marshall Islands
- New Zealand
- Papua New Guinea
- Solomon Islands
View Articles by Continent
- Kopavogur, Iceland February 3, 2023 - Kopavogur or Kopavogur (Kópavogur, translated from Icelandic as "seal bay") is the second most populous city in Iceland, located in the southwest of the country. Along with Reykjavik, it is… Read more
- How to Get to Nha Trang, Vietnam December 30, 2022 - Cam Ranh Airport is located 30 km south of the center of Nha Trang. From Russia, only charters fly here directly. Travelers who independently get to the resort most often… Read more
- Visa to Albania December 23, 2022 - All countries should have such zeal as Albania shows, luring tourists to their hospitable lands! Firstly, holders of a valid Schengen, visas to the UK, Ireland and the USA can… Read more
- Pennsylvania Turnpike December 16, 2022 - I-70 / I-76 / I-276 Get started columbia End youngstown Length 360 mi Length 580 km Route Ohio Ohio Turnpike10 → Pittsburgh Airport / New Castle 13 Beaver Falls… Read more
- Poti, Georgia December 9, 2022 - The city of Poti is often called the sea gate of Georgia. This title is confirmed by numerous merchant ships moored in orderly rows at the pier of its port.… Read more
- Rhodes Island: Ocean State December 1, 2022 - With cities such as Newport, Pawtucket and Providence, the state has a wealth of opportunities and attractions. During your Rhode Island vacation, enjoy water sports and the colonial atmosphere in… Read more
- How to Get to Frankfurt, Germany November 25, 2022 - Russian travelers can reach Frankfurt in several ways. The fastest and most convenient way is by plane. Frankfurt am Main International Airport receives flights from Moscow and St. Petersburg, in… Read more
- Algiers, Algeria November 18, 2022 - "La Blanche" (white) and "bahja" (cheerful) - under these two names, the capital of Algeria - the city of Algiers (Alger) is known to the world of the western and… Read more
- Sights of Lake Como, Italy November 11, 2022 - Italy has been the favorite holiday destination of many Dutch people for many years. Cities such as Rome, Milan, Florence and Livorno do very well as a weekend trip. But… Read more
- Sights of Cascais, Portugal November 4, 2022 - Cascais was once a small fishing village near Lisbon. From the moment the Portuguese nobility started to discover this place, Cascais has started to develop as a seaside resort. Today,… Read more