According to Themotorcyclers.com, Seagraves, Texas is a small city located in Gaines County, Texas with a population of 2,071 as of the 2010 census. The city is situated on the banks of the Pecos River and is surrounded by agricultural fields. The climate in Seagraves is semi-arid with hot summers and mild winters. Average temperatures range from highs of around 100°F in July to lows of around 30°F in January.
Seagraves was originally established as a train depot for the Pecos Valley and Northern Railway back in 1910 which soon developed into a small town. During World War II, Seagraves served as an important training site for bomber crews from nearby military bases due to its flat terrain and close proximity to the Pecos River. After the war, Seagraves experienced an economic boom due to increases in oil production in nearby counties resulting in an influx of new residents and businesses.
The City of Seagraves operates under a council-manager form of government with five city council members elected at-large to serve two-year terms. The economy of Seagraves primarily relies on agriculture, oil production, and tourism due to its proximity to several state parks such as Monahans Sandhills State Park.
Seagraves is served by three school districts: Gaines County Independent School District (GCISD), Plains Independent School District (PISD), and Seminole Independent School District (SISD). Each district provides students with high quality education opportunities through various programs such as career technical education (CTE) courses and extracurricular activities like athletics and performing arts.
Seagraves has several notable landmarks such as the historic Seagraves Depot Museum located within walking distance from downtown which houses artifacts from World War II including military uniforms, photographs, equipment, documents, and other memorabilia related to the town’s history. Other notable landmarks include the Old Firehouse Museum located downtown which serves as a tribute to early firefighting equipment used by firefighters during World War II; Fort Lancaster Cemetery located near Monahans Sandhills State Park; and The Old Spanish Trail Monument which marks the path taken by Spanish settlers during their journey through Texas between 1829-1836.
Population: 2,334. Estimated population in July 2020: 2,321 (-0.6% change)
Males: 1,139 (48.8%), Females: 1,195 (51.2%)
Zip code: 79359
Median resident age: 32.4 years
Median household income: $26,929
Median house value: $33,100
Races in Seagraves:
- Hispanic (55.9%)
- White Non-Hispanic (36.6%)
- Other race (23.3%)
- Black (6.1%)
- Two or more races (3.0%)
- American Indian (1.3%)
(Total can be greater than 100% because Hispanics could be counted in other races)
Ancestries: United States (7.2%), German (4.1%), Irish (3.2%), English (2.8%).
Elevation: 3353 feet
Land area: 1.4 square miles
Seagraves, Texas is a small town located in Gaines County. According to the 2010 census, the population was 2,334 people. The racial makeup of the city was 64.1% White, 0.8% African American, 0.2% Native American, 0.2% Asian, and 34.7% from other races. The median income for a household in Seagraves was $23,648 and the median income for a family was $27,917. The per capita income of Seagraves was $11,735 with 20% of the population below poverty line (U.S Census Bureau).
The majority of Seagraves’ population is composed of individuals under 44 years old; 43 percent are under 18 years old and 28 percent are between 18 and 24 years old (American FactFinder). Moreover, approximately one-third of the working age population is employed in manufacturing (31%) or construction (30%). Other major industries are retail trade at 12%, administrative services at 8%, and health care & social assistance at 7%.
The town has seen some growth in recent years due to its proximity to Lubbock which offers more job opportunities than Seagraves itself can provide. However, it remains a small rural community with a close-knit community atmosphere that many residents appreciate about living there.
For population 25 years and over in Seagraves
- High school or higher: 53.5%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 9.2%
- Graduate or professional degree: 3.4%
- Unemployed: 10.7%
- Mean travel time to work: 19.0 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Seagraves city
- Never married: 23.3%
- Now married: 60.5%
- Separated: 1.6%
- Widowed: 6.6%
- Divorced: 8.0%
12.5% Foreign born (12.1% Latin America).
Population change in the 1990s: -76 (-3.2%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Seagraves:
- MEMORIAL HOSPITAL (about 20 miles; SEMINOLE, TX)
- YOAKUM COUNTY HOSPITAL (about 20 miles; DENVER CITY, TX)
- BROWNFIELD REGIONAL MEDICAL CENTER (about 24 miles; BROWNFIELD, TX)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Seagraves:
- LEA COUNTY RGNL (about 49 miles; HOBBS, NM; Abbreviation: HOB)
- LUBBOCK INTL (about 72 miles; LUBBOCK, TX; Abbreviation: LBB)
- MIDLAND INTERNATIONAL (about 74 miles; MIDLAND, TX; Abbreviation: MAF)
Other public-use airports nearest to Seagraves:
- SEAGRAVES (about 3 miles; SEAGRAVES, TX; Abbreviation: F97)
- DENVER CITY (about 19 miles; DENVER CITY, TX; Abbreviation: E57)
- GAINES COUNTY (about 20 miles; SEMINOLE, TX; Abbreviation: 31F)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Seagraves:
- SOUTH PLAINS COLLEGE (about 47 miles; LEVELLAND, TX; Full-time enrollment: 3,851)
- TEXAS TECH UNIVERSITY (about 69 miles; LUBBOCK, TX; Full-time enrollment: 22,439)
- MIDLAND COLLEGE (about 72 miles; MIDLAND, TX; Full-time enrollment: 2,800)
- ODESSA COLLEGE (about 75 miles; ODESSA, TX; Full-time enrollment: 2,555)
- EASTERN NEW MEXICO UNIVERSITY-MAIN CAMPUS (about 100 miles; PORTALES, NM; Full-time enrollment: 2,955)
- WAYLAND BAPTIST UNIVERSITY (about 104 miles; PLAINVIEW, TX; Full-time enrollment: 2,578)
- WEST TEXAS A & M UNIVERSITY (about 147 miles; CANYON, TX; Full-time enrollment: 5,476)
Public high schools in Seagraves:
- SEAGRAVES H S (Students: 157; Location: 1605 AVE K; Grades: 09 – 12)
- CHOICES ALTERNATIVE HIGH SCHOOL (Students: 7; Location: 1605 AVE K; Grades: 09 – 12)
Public primary/middle schools in Seagraves:
- SEAGRAVES EL (Students: 289; Location: 1605 AVE K; Grades: PK – 05)
- SEAGRAVES J H (Students: 142; Location: 1605 AVE K; Grades: 06 – 08)