Markham, Texas is a small city located in the southern part of the state. The population of Markham is estimated to be around 4,000 people. This small city is situated in an area of rolling hills and lush forests. The climate in Markham is generally mild with temperatures ranging from hot and humid summers to cold and wet winters.
The history of Markham dates back to the early 1800s when settlers began to move into the area and establish farms and businesses. In 1837, the first post office was established in Markham, which helped spur growth and development in the area. Since then, Markham has grown into a bustling community with a variety of businesses, services, and attractions.
Politically speaking, Markham is part of Matagorda County which includes several other small cities such as Bay City, Van Vleck, Blessing, Collegeport, Palacios, Sargent and Wadsworth. The county seat is located in Bay City while Markham serves as one of two county commissioners’ courts within Matagorda County. In terms of economy, agriculture plays an important role with cotton being one of the most important crops grown here. There are also several businesses within the city such as restaurants and retail stores that help support local families financially.
In terms of education there are several schools located within the city including a high school that serves grades 9-12 for students living in or around Markham. Additionally there are also several elementary schools that serve pre-K through 8th grade students from within or outside Markham’s boundaries..
When it comes to landmarks there are several notable sites that can be found throughout town including an old train depot from 1887 which was used by settlers traveling through this part of Texas on their way westward; a historic church built in 1888; a museum dedicated to preserving local history; an old log cabin built by one of the first settlers; and many other buildings that have remained unchanged since they were built over 100 years ago.
Males: 558 (49.0%), Females: 580 (51.0%)
Zip code: 77456
Median resident age: 33.1 years
Median household income: $41,900
Median house value: $46,100
Races in Markham:
- White Non-Hispanic (53.2%)
- Hispanic (36.0%)
- Black (9.9%)
- Other race (7.9%)
- Two or more races (2.1%)
(Total can be greater than 100% because Hispanics could be counted in other races)
Ancestries: Irish (12.6%), German (9.5%), English (6.7%), United States (3.2%), Czech (2.9%), Swedish (1.6%).
Elevation: 55 feet
Land area: 2.3 square miles
Neah Markham, Texas is a small rural town located in the south-central region of the state. With a population of approximately 2,500 people, Neah Markham is a close-knit community where people know each other and look out for one another. The town has several small businesses that provide employment opportunities for its citizens. The majority of the population is comprised of white Americans with a smaller percentage of African Americans and Hispanics.
The cost of living in Neah Markham is quite low compared to other parts of the state. Housing costs are very affordable with the median home price being around $95,000. Utilities are also quite low with electric and water costs averaging between $50-$70 per month depending on usage. Transportation costs are also relatively inexpensive as there is public transportation available in the form of buses and taxis that run throughout town. Groceries are reasonably priced as well with most items costing around 10-15% less than national average prices. In addition to this, there are several restaurants in town that offer meals at reasonable prices.
For population 25 years and over in Markham
- High school or higher: 72.9%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 4.1%
- Graduate or professional degree: 0.0%
- Unemployed: 3.6%
- Mean travel time to work: 26.8 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Markham CDP
- Never married: 19.9%
- Now married: 66.0%
- Separated: 1.5%
- Widowed: 3.6%
- Divorced: 9.1%
2.7% Foreign born (2.7% Latin America).
Hospitals/medical centers near Markham:
- MATAGORDA GENERAL HOSPITAL (about 10 miles; BAY CITY, TX)
- PALACIOS COMMUNITY MEDICAL CENTER (about 19 miles; PALACIOS, TX)
- EL CAMPO MEMORIAL HOSPITAL (about 22 miles; EL CAMPO, TX)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Markham:
- BRAZORIA COUNTY (about 44 miles; ANGLETON/LAKE JACKSON, TX; Abbreviation: LBX)
- VICTORIA REGIONAL (about 60 miles; VICTORIA, TX; Abbreviation: VCT)
- WILLIAM P HOBBY (about 73 miles; HOUSTON, TX; Abbreviation: HOU)
Other public-use airports nearest to Markham:
- FEHMEL DUSTING SERVICE (about 8 miles; BAY CITY, TX; Abbreviation: T84)
- BAY CITY MUNI (about 16 miles; BAY CITY, TX; Abbreviation: BYY)
- LACKEY AVIATION (about 21 miles; WHARTON, TX; Abbreviation: 94R)
Colleges and Universities
Note: See jibin123 for a list of Texas graduate schools.
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Markham:
- WHARTON COUNTY JUNIOR COLLEGE (about 24 miles; WHARTON, TX; Full-time enrollment: 3,124)
- HOUSTON BAPTIST UNIVERSITY (about 64 miles; HOUSTON, TX; Full-time enrollment: 2,273)
- ALVIN COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 65 miles; ALVIN, TX; Full-time enrollment: 2,094)
- VICTORIA COLLEGE (about 65 miles; VICTORIA, TX; Full-time enrollment: 2,511)
- RICE UNIVERSITY (about 69 miles; HOUSTON, TX; Full-time enrollment: 4,158)
- UNIVERSITY OF ST THOMAS (about 72 miles; HOUSTON, TX; Full-time enrollment: 2,541)
- UNIVERSITY OF HOUSTON-UNIVERSITY PARK (about 72 miles; HOUSTON, TX; Full-time enrollment: 25,479)