According to campingship, East Greenwich is a small city located in Kent County, Rhode Island and is part of the Providence metropolitan area. It is situated on the western shore of Narragansett Bay, approximately 10 miles south of downtown Providence and just north of Warwick. The city covers an area of 8.6 square miles and has a population of 13,146 as of 2019.
Geographically, East Greenwich is mostly flat terrain with rolling hills in the eastern portion. The climate in East Greenwich is moderate with cold winters and warm summers. The average annual temperature is 42 degrees Fahrenheit and the average annual precipitation is 43 inches.
East Greenwich has a rich history that dates back to 1677 when it was first settled by English colonists from Old Warwick. It became part of Rhode Island in 1741 when it was annexed by King George II’s Royal Charter for Rhode Island and Providence Plantations. During the American Revolution, East Greenwich was home to several notable figures including General Nathanael Greene who served under George Washington during the war.
In terms of politics, East Greenwich leans heavily towards Republican candidates at both state and national levels. As for economic activity, most residents are employed in service-oriented industries such as healthcare, retail trade, education services, finance/insurance/real estate and construction/manufacturing/utilities sectors.
Education in East Greenwich is provided through public schools including two elementary schools (Lawn Avenue Elementary School & Cole Middle School) as well as one high school (East Greenwich High School). Additionally, there are two private schools located within the city limits – St Luke’s School & St Mary Academy – Bay View High School.
The city also boasts numerous landmarks including Goddard Memorial State Park which features over 500 acres of land suitable for picnicking, hiking trails & swimming; Colt State Park which has 464 acres available for biking & walking trails; The White Horse Tavern which was built in 1673; The Olde Town Hall which dates back to 1884; The William Robinson Plantation House which dates back to 1710; and Smith’s Castle which was built between 1678-1680 by Richard Smith Sr., one of East Greenwich’s earliest settlers.
Population: 12,948. Estimated population in July 2020: 13,616 (+5.2% change)
Males: 6,267 (48.4%), Females: 6,681 (51.6%)
Median resident age: 40.5 years
Median household income: $70,062
Median house value: $244,900
Races in East Greenwich:
- White Non-Hispanic (95.1%)
- Chinese (1.0%)
- Hispanic (0.9%)
- Two or more races (0.8%)
- Black (0.7%)
Ancestries: Irish (23.2%), Italian (20.8%), English (19.2%), German (11.0%), French (6.3%), Swedish (4.9%).
Elevation: 100 feet
East Greenwich, Rhode Island is located in Kent County and is part of the Providence metropolitan area. The town has a population of 13,146 according to the 2010 census, making it one of the most populous towns in the state. The population density is estimated to be 1,858 people per square mile. The racial makeup of East Greenwich is 92.2% White, 3% African American, 0.5% Native American, 2.3% Asian and 1.6% from other races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 4% of the population.
In terms of age demographics, East Greenwich has a median age of 43 years old with 24.4% under 18 and 13.2 % over 65 years old. In terms of educational attainment, 89.1 % have at least a high school diploma or equivalent while 36 % have a bachelor’s degree or higher and 9 % have a graduate or professional degree according to U S Census figures from 2017-2019 estimates . The median household income in East Greenwich is estimated to be $105,788 which is significantly higher than the US average income at $61,937 according to 2019 US census data estimates . In terms of employment status , 69 % are employed full time and 9 % are employed part time . The job market has been steadily growing in East Greenwich with an unemployment rate that was 3 . 7 % as per May 2020 labor statistics .
For population 25 years and over in East Greenwich
- High school or higher: 92.6%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 56.6%
- Graduate or professional degree: 24.8%
- Unemployed: 5.2%
- Mean travel time to work: 23.0 minutes
For population 15 years and over in East Greenwich town
- Never married: 22.4%
- Now married: 64.4%
- Separated: 0.5%
- Widowed: 5.2%
- Divorced: 7.5%
4.8% Foreign born (2.5% Europe, 1.4% Asia).
Population change in the 1990s: +1,140 (+9.7%).
Hospitals/medical centers near East Greenwich:
- KENT COUNTY MEMORIAL HOSPITAL (about 4 miles; WARWICK, RI)
- ELEANOR SLATER HOSPITAL (about 9 miles; CRANSTON, RI)
- WOMEN AND INFANTS HOSPITAL OF RI (about 10 miles; PROVIDENCE, RI)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to East Greenwich:
- THEODORE FRANCIS GREEN STATE (about 5 miles; PROVIDENCE, RI; Abbreviation: PVD)
- GROTON-NEW LONDON (about 47 miles; GROTON NEW LONDON, CT; Abbreviation: GON)
- WORCESTER REGIONAL (about 51 miles; WORCESTER, MA; Abbreviation: ORH)
Other public-use airports nearest to East Greenwich:
- QUONSET STATE (about 7 miles; NORTH KINGSTOWN, RI; Abbreviation: OQU)
- DOWNTOWN PROVIDENCE HELISTOP (about 12 miles; PROVIDENCE, RI; Abbreviation: RI9)
- NEWPORT STATE (about 17 miles; NEWPORT, RI; Abbreviation: UUU)
Amtrak stations near East Greenwich:
- 12 miles: PROVIDENCE (100 GASPEE ST.). Services: ticket office, fully wheelchair accessible, enclosed waiting area, public restrooms, public payphones, snack bar, ATM, paid short-term parking, paid long-term parking, call for car rental service, taxi stand, public transit connection.
- 15 miles: KINGSTON (WEST KINGSTON, FAIRGROUNDS RD.). Services: ticket office, enclosed waiting area, public restrooms, public payphones, free short-term parking, free long-term parking, call for car rental service, call for taxi service, public transit connection.
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to East Greenwich:
- COMMUNITY COLLEGE OF RHODE ISLAND (about 4 miles; WARWICK, RI; Full-time enrollment: 8,650)
- NEW ENGLAND INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY (about 4 miles; WARWICK, RI; Full-time enrollment: 2,419)
- JOHNSON & WALES UNIVERSITY (about 12 miles; Providence, RI; Full-time enrollment: 8,218)
- RHODE ISLAND SCHOOL OF DESIGN (about 12 miles; PROVIDENCE, RI; Full-time enrollment: 2,086)
- BROWN UNIVERSITY (about 13 miles; PROVIDENCE, RI; Full-time enrollment: 7,460)
- RHODE ISLAND COLLEGE (about 13 miles; PROVIDENCE, RI; Full-time enrollment: 6,208)
- PROVIDENCE COLLEGE (about 13 miles; PROVIDENCE, RI; Full-time enrollment: 4,456)
Public high school in East Greenwich:
- EAST GREENWICH HIGH (Students: 665; Location: 300 AVENGER DRIVE; Grades: 09 – 12)
Private high school in East Greenwich:
- ROCKY HILL SCHOOL (Students: 325; Location: 530 IVES ROAD; Grades: PK – 12)
Public primary/middle schools in East Greenwich:
- ARCHIE R. COLE JR. HIGH (Students: 463; Location: 100 CEDAR AVENUE; Grades: 07 – 08)
- FRENCHTOWN SCHOOL (Students: 385; Location: FRENCHTOWN ROAD; Grades: KG – 03)
- JAMES H. ELDREDGE SCHOOL (Students: 335; Location: FIRST AVENUE; Grades: 04 – 06)
- GEORGE HANAFORD SCHOOL (Students: 292; Location: LEBARON DRIVE; Grades: 04 – 06)
- MEADOWBROOK FARMS SCHOOL (Students: 5; Location: 2 CHESTNUT DRIVE; Grades: KG – 05)
Private primary/middle schools in East Greenwich:
- OUR LADY OF MERCY REGIONAL SCH (Students: 365; Location: 55 4TH AVE; Grades: PK – 7)
- HAPPY HEARTS LEARNING CTR INC (Students: 220; Location: PO BOX 1536; Grades: PK – KG)
- THE STORKS NEST CHILD ACADEMY (Students: 71; Location: 2260 SOUTH COUNTY TRAIL; Grades: PK – KG)
- A STEP UP INC (Students: 57; Location: 88 CROMPTON RD; Grades: PK – KG)
- SWEET PEAS VILLAGE (Students: 26; Location: 836 MIDDLE RD; Grades: KG – KG)