The spinning or indoor cycle It is one of the activities most made by all of us since it is very comprehensive and has a major recreational component. In addition, it is an ideal complement for cyclists and triathletes because perfectly mimics the movement of the bike outdoors.
Many of you, you don’t look like you pedaleáis on the bicycle or that muscles are working during the session. If you lend attention to this article, you can improve performance in spinning, making a much more complete classes and adapting your body for a more effective workout.
The involvement of the quadriceps in the pedal stroke
The quadriceps are found in the anterior part of the thigh. They are the main muscles used in the pedal stroke. They act in the descending phase and make that we can push the pedal down and extend the leg.
Be careful with:
- The height of the saddle. A seat in advance and very low will be having your legs very bent and in the long run that will overload the muscles, and can cause a knee injury.
- Not wear toe clips. Not having attached the foot, we will not make sufficient strength in the ascending phase and we will have to make all the strength with the quadriceps, and it can get tired.
- Place the seat in the correct position. The leg should be almost stretched at the lower foot horizontally.
- Always use toe clips or automatic pedals, since you can better control your strength. For example, if you see that you you heavily loaded the quadriceps, you can make more force in the ascending phase descargaréis them and Richman more with hamstring, psoas-iliac and anterior rectum.
- Work at the gym or at home the vast internal. It is a muscle of the quadriceps that just works with this activity. If we ignore it, we can suffer injury in the knee joint.
How to work the hamstrings in the pedal stroke
They are at the back of the thigh. They work in the two phases of the pedal stroke, although much more actively in the ascendant. They are aided by the psoas-iliac, rectum anterior and Tibialis anterior to the ascending phase complete.
Be careful with:
- Have this rigid and inflexible muscles. This will cause that they can contract with ease and not let you make a fast Cadence in the sprints or fast Plains.
- Do not stretch the psoas-iliac. An error often commit spinning instructors is not stretching at the end of the session, this muscle. If you see that it is not in the routine of the teacher, when you finish the session go to stretch it. You same os more than one lower back injury.
Council: devote more time to the ischio-tibial stretch and the backside-iliac.
Some abdominal and back strong, are important for bicycle
The position adopted on the bike, makes us keep the contracted abdominal and back tension. In addition, when we stand or teacher makes us to lock the trunk us balancing on the bike, we realised a strong job of stabilization and abdominal isometric force.
Be careful with: make sure that you have the correct distance between saddle and handlebars. But it is so, and there is too much distance between them, your back will bear an excessive burden and you can suffer injuries in the lower.
Council: to minimize the risk of injuries, we should perform a specific for lumbar and abdominal toning work. When they are well worked, you can better exercise and mejoraréis pelvic stabilization, which will make the legs make a greater force on the pedal.
The importance of one toned gluteus
He works in the downstream area allowing the extension of the hip. You have this muscles more toned helps the quadriceps to generate a greater strength to extend the knee. Long let us standing on the bike, our buttocks will work more and help that we can exercise greater power on the pedals. In addition, if we harden the resistance will work it doubly and end up wearing a good strong and toned buttocks.
When it works the sural triceps in the pedal stroke
It is the muscles of the calf. It is formed by muscles gastrocnemios (twins) and the soleus. They work in the dead spots of the ride, especially in the lower part of the cycle. For them, there is a trick: you must do as if you try to touch the ground with the pedal.
Upper extremity also works
Although you may believe that you don’t work it, you are wrong. When the teacher makes you go to the sprint and ask you that you aumentéis resistance to climb a mountain, you begin to pull the body and weight forward and throwing and agarráis you with the handle force to increase the acceleration and power. That makes you realize an isometric exercise, working above all arms, chest and shoulder. It is no wonder that some that you begin with this sport, you may feel muscle pain in shoulder or arms, after a demanding kind of spinning.
I hope this helps you to improve your performance in this type of activity. Good luck and bike.